AdWords offers a financial lifeline for most businesses, small and big. Finding helpful ways to manage PPC networks (i.e. AdWords and Adcenter primarily) are few and far between. Sure, there are several consultants out there more than prepared to cut into your profit margins, however the minimum contracts and fuzzy promises probably have kept you from taking the bait.
While you can find certainly many AdWords PPC “celebrities” out there who have oversaw PPC campaigns of either great size or number, I battle to imagine anyone who has poured the ceaseless daily hours in the last 7 years because i have. Toiling over how to refine and optimize campaigns, ad groups, etc. to get even a.5% improvement continues to be my life as it directly correlated to the size of my paycheck and success of our own business. There hasn’t been one person at Google or outside Google which has successfully provided a suggestion or found a chink inside my structure, yet there have been many people who have said “wow- I never imagined of performing that before”.
So in terms of giving AdWords tips for individuals that contact me for ideas, 10 from ten times I can state that their problems stem from one of five issues.
1. Poor account structure – Structure doesn’t account for like products, demographics, network, or geography.
2. Mismanaged or under-managed bidding – Adwords makes it quite simple for people to get lulled into default bids, AdWords despite its efforts at automating needs active management.
3. Inadequate ad testing for Ad text – Ad text optimization is really a tricky business. Not only do successful ads become less successful over time, the criteria and binding the website landing page is crucial – much more so in the year 2011 than ever before as quality score is playing a huge part in a campaign’s profitability.
4. Poorly mined keywords – Keywords are definitely the currency which makes PPC work. AdWords provides great tools for learning about keywords, unfortunately, they may be fragmented. Besides CTR, cost/conv., impressions, match type and clicks; you will find elements such as assists, search funnels, negatives, ROI, view-through conversions. These less understood elements are what makes AdWords profitable and accounts need constant help to optimize.
5. AdWords not aligned with landing page – Few are a graphics designer, me included, but there are basic approaches which everyone is able to take to improve your conversions. Remember a strong CTR x strong Website Landing Page = maximum conversions.
Getting conversions profitably isn’t quite as basic as Google leads one to believe, but if you are diligent and actively manage your campaigns, taking into consideration the account structure, bidding, ad testing, keyword mining, and website landing page optimization I will guarantee you will be on the way to recovery. AdWords assistance is only an e-mail away.
PPC optimization is important to sustain success using Adwords. Below we touch upon many techniques to optimize your campaigns for better profitability.
Understand Keyword Match Types
Although an elementary concept in Pay Per Click Marketing advertising, understanding keyword match types is important to achieve success. Google breaks down keyword match types in three primary ways: Broad, [Exact], and “Phrase” match.
In Google search, an extensive match can frequently times be extremely broad. For example, to get a keyword phrase like “Kids military uniforms,” under the broad match setting, your ad may be triggered for searches like “childrens army suit” or “youth navy uniform.” In essence, broad match is extremely broad, so be sure you really know what you’re engaging in if you choose to leave keywords as broad (without “quotes” for phrase match or [brackets] for exact match.)
Using exact keyword matching by around the keyword phrase in brackets will ensure that your ads are merely triggered when online search engine users submit that exact phrase, surely nothing else. By making use of exact xrnyuh matching, it is possible to better minimize wasted impressions from broad searches and lower budget-sucking click-throughs.
Because exact phrase match might neglect to display your ads for searchers that you actual do wish to capture, a fantastic alternative is utilizing modified broad matching. Modified broad is simply placing a ” ” symbol directly in front of each keyword (without any space) that you want specifically mentioned in a user’s search query. The ” ” symbol helps to ensure that this word, and only very close variations (like plural and singular variations) are what trigger your ads. Therefore if we bid on the keyword ” kids military uniforms” our ad will still be displayed for search queries like “kid military uniform” or “kids military uniforms available for sale,” not “childrens navy uniform.”